Saturday 26 April 2014

Summer Race Calendar!

Now that I'm back running, I've picked out all my summer races! I like to run about one a month in the summer - not hugely ambitious, but a nice amount to keep me ticking over. So this summer we'll have

Clontarf 5 Mile - 5th July
Dun Laoghaire Bay 10k - 4th August

I've already registered for Flora - the Flora mini marathon was my first ever race and I love it. It takes over the whole city for the day and there's always so much energy, plus it's got a route I really like. Back when I was 15 or 16 and making my first tentative inroads into running, Flora was my "big dream" - it sounds silly now for a 10k to be your ultimate running goal, but I couldn't run three minutes straight when I first started and I always looked at the newspapers and online coverage of Flora and thought, "Someday I'll run that." Because it mattered so much, I try really hard to run it again each year, and probably will for a long time.

Clontarf and DLRBay are both completely new to me, and I've never run a five-mile before, but supposedly it's Ireland's flattest course so it should be fun! I've also taken a look at the Dun Laoghaire route map and it looks like it's going to be gorgeous, with a nice stretch along the seafront.

A not-so-nice thing also happened this week... see the bright red face in this picture?


(This is post-run on Wednesday, you'll spot it in my weekly recap tomorrow).

That red face isn't from running, oh no. (Well, it is a little bit, but mostly not!) That red face is caused by this monster:


Superdrug redid all their facemasks in the past few months, as I discovered when I went to restock my Sensitive Deep Cleansing mud mask and found it had been replaced by a bunch of new, more targeted masks. I should have known, in fairness, that witch hazel is way too harsh to leave a thick layer of it on your face for 15 minutes. I used it about a month ago when I bought it, and it was fine, but on Wednesday I decided to use it again and man

It started to sting my face a couple of minutes in, but stupidly I assumed that was just it working and decided to keep it on for the full time (10-15 minutes, according to the back - I think I did about 13 or 14). Taking it off I knew straight away I had a problem - there was literally a line at the edges of where I'd put it. I was bright red everywhere I'd put the mask, like I'd been sunburned. I freaked out, piled Sudocrem and moisturiser on, and after a few hours I was more or less back to normal, except with slightly dryer, sensitive-feeling skin. Needless to say, this stuff lasted just long enough to take the picture before it hit the bin.

The moral of the story is: witch hazel is harsh and scary and not a good mud mask ingredient. 

Also: if stuff hurts your face you probably shouldn't leave it there.

See you guys tomorrow for my recap!

No comments:

Post a Comment